RIT Ranks Among Top Video Game Design Schools
The Rochester Institute of Technology is one of the best schools in the world to study and launch a career in game design in 2016, according to The Princeton Review’s new international ranking.
RIT’s game design and development program ranked third at undergraduate and seventh at graduate. In 2015, RIT placed sixth at both levels. The RIT program is hosted at the School of Games and Interactive Media at the B. Thomas Golisano College of Computer and Information Science.
“We are proud to be once again named one of the best game design programs in the country,” said David Schwartz, director of the RIT School of Games and Interactive Media. “Our students are ushering in a new era of games and experiences with their work in the classroom, at competitions, at the annual game developers conference in San Francisco and in their cooperative education experiences at some of the biggest names. of the gaming industry. “
The Princeton Review, one of the nation’s best-known educational services companies, has partnered with PC player to report the ‘Top 50’ and ‘Top 25’ undergraduate school lists for the game 2016. The seventh annual list is published in the March 29 issue of PC player magazine.
The Princeton Review selected schools based on a survey of 150 institutions in the United States, Canada, and overseas that offer game design courses and programs. In making its selections, The Princeton Review weighed a number of criteria, including academic offerings, laboratory facilities, graduate starting salaries, and professional accomplishments.
The Princeton Review survey found that undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in the listed schools gain valuable work experience during their studies. According to The Princeton Review’s 2015 survey of top school administrators, around 85% of undergraduate and graduate game design students who graduated in 2015 made concrete plans to launch games during their tenure. studies. Additionally, 49 percent of undergraduates and 59 percent of students graduating from these programs worked on games that were shipped before graduation.
RIT was a pioneer in the field of video game design and development education. IGM students work with RIT’s Center for Media, Arts, Games, Interaction and Creativity (MAGIC), a research lab and on-campus production studio that helps students bring ideas from the prototype to commercial production in the market. Graduates of RIT’s game design and development programs go on to work at companies such as Microsoft, Sony Playstation, Zynga, Arkadium, and Google.
RIT’s Bachelor of Science in Game Design and Development provides undergraduate computer science education on a large scale while exposing students to the breadth of game design and development processes. Students are required to take courses in the liberal arts, social sciences, and laboratory sciences.
Students pursuing RIT’s Masters in Game Design and Development focus on the technical roots of the disciplines of Computing and Information Science, while simultaneously covering the breadth of the development landscape by getting involved in topics such as computer graphics, game engines, interactive storytelling, and the game world. design. The diploma ends with a synthesis project in which students create their own games.
The Princeton Review rankings for the 10 best undergraduate and graduate schools to study video game design for 2016 are listed below. The full list is available in The Princeton Review’s Game Design Rankings.
Top 10 Undergraduate Schools To Study Video Game Design For 2016
1. University of Utah (Salt Lake City, Utah)
2. University of Southern California (Los Angeles, California)
3. Rochester Institute of Technology (Rochester, NY)
4. DigiPen Institute of Technology (Redmond, Washington)
5. Becker College (Worcester, Massachusetts)
6. The Art Institute of Vancouver (Vancouver, British Columbia)
7. Hampshire College (Amherst, Massachusetts)
8. Michigan State University (East Lansing, Michigan)
9. Drexel University (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
10. New York University (Brooklyn, NY)
Top 10 Graduate Schools to Study Video Game Design for 2016
1. University of Central Florida (Orlando, Florida)
2. Southern Methodist University (Plano, Texas)
3. University of Utah (Salt Lake City, Utah)
4. University of Southern California (Los Angeles, California)
5. DigiPen Institute of Technology (Redmond, Washington)
6. New York University (Brooklyn, NY)
7. Rochester Institute of Technology (Rochester, NY)
8. Drexel University (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
9. The University of Texas at Dallas (Richardson, Texas)
10. Michigan State University (East Lansing, Michigan)