Former head of TikTok’s gaming unit to launch blockchain game development tool
Former head of TikTok’s games division, Jason Fung, is launching a blockchain-based game developer, Meta0, to enable the transfer of non-fungible tokens (NFTs) between different blockchains, according to a Reuters report on Tuesday.
See related article: Game Theory: What’s Holding Back a Play-to-Earn Blast?
- According to its product proposal, Meta0 aims to enable developers to take advantage of the strengths of different blockchains, such as utilizing both Solana’s high-throughput, low-cost transactions and Ethereum’s strengths in security and DeFi services.
- Fung said he left TikTok after seeing an opportunity to provide a solution to the current separate development frameworks for blockchain game makers.
- Fung has held senior positions at various tech companies, most recently serving as the global head of TikTok’s gaming team, and previously he led Alibaba Group’s Electronic Arts and eSports.
- As CEO of the startup, Fung will seek partnerships with game developers, distribution partners and blockchains, and lead overall strategy, marketing, fundraising and day-to-day operations, according to a separate press release. .
- The company has closed its first round of investment and is seeking to raise additional capital through token offerings, and from venture capitalists and strategic investors, Fung said in the Reuters report.
- Fung said Meta0 has another founder with six employees at present, but no further details were given, according to Reuters.
See related article: NFTs may be the next killer app for video games, but some mainstream gamers are against it